Monday, May 9, 2011

I Said, "Mostly"

Yesterday, being Mothers Day, (which was originally celebrated for the mothers who lost their sons in war) My children were so dang cute! They brought me breakfast in bed, but I had to go back to bed to get it. I was busy fixing 86 his bowl of cee-oo and taking care of other morning business that I had to be told to go back to bed. The sisters were so cute. I heard commotion in the kitchen about cows milk or almond milk, and they couldn't remember which one they used. I don't recall ever having breakfast in bed before now, but it was too cute. 2 brought it into my room followed by 1&3. Nothing much, but much too special. For breakfast, I received a bowl of rice krispies with Almond milk. I have never been a fan of cows milk, but Almond milk, (specifically the Diamond brand--the nut people) is really tasty, naturally sweet and leaves no room for sugar or artificial sweeteners. When I put it on my oatmeal, I never feel like I need brown sugar or honey.

I ate what ever I wanted. At church, they passed out a GIANT Symphony bar after services and I ate most of it before bed time. Boy, did I feel crummy, even after hubby helped. That was way too much processed food for me. Two- and-a-half months ago, I could have done it, but not now. I also ate: super tasty fajitas, with vegan filling and some outstanding cole slaw.
Before you get your nickers in a twist about things being made from milk, and telling me,"But Sara! Chocolate is made of milk. And Cole slaw is made from dairy as well!" ,I redirect your attention to the title of this post and specifically...the part that says "mostly".
I started out being MOSTLY, and will end being MOSTLY.
It was so delish! I think I ate too much though. I forgot to tell you about the binge of chex mix, which I love.

So I have to post the recipes of which I used.
Texas Two-Step Slaw
4 cups of shredded cabage, both colors...(more green than red)
1 small/medium red onion, sliced thinly & chopped.
1-2 cans of Mexi-corn (corn with red and green peppers--so yummy)
1 4oz can diced green chilis
1 cup (8oz) shredded monterey jack cheese (I use more, because the more the merrier...really)!
Mix together well, making sure the onion and especially corn are evenly distributed throughout. I like to mix it in a really big bowl, with my very clean hands.
for the dressing:
1/2 cup (or more, if you'd like it creamier) ranch dressing
juice of 1-2 limes
cumin, to taste
Mix in a cereal bowl, and pour over the top of the cabbage mixture. If you mix it from the bottom of a bowl, you won't get as good coverage as pouring it over.

Veggie Taco Filling
1 cup dry kidney beans
rinse and drain put into quart jar with mesh lid. put into dark place and drain and rinse daily
until sprouted about 1/2 inch. (you can skip this sprouting stage by using canned beans in a pinch, but I think the sprouted ones taste better).
marinate bean sprouts with sliced onions, mushrooms and green peppers for 1-2 hours.
Marinade:
olive oil, lemon juice oregano, chili powder

stir fry veggies and marinade (or you could fry up your onions and add them at the end, to get more flavor out of them), add about 1 cup veggie broth and cook until beans are soft. (you may need to add more liquid while the beans are getting softer. It does take a while.
Use this filling instead of meat when you make tacos, fajitas and burritos. Its' oh so tasty, and you won't miss the meat. I've never missed the meat since. Not to mention there's more fiber in it from the beans. You can skip the sprouting stage by using canned beans, but I think they taste better fresh sprouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment